Re: [OT] advice re Western Digital WD1002FAEX Caviar Black 1 TB 7200 RPM Internal Hard Disk Drive

Davide Mirtillo wrote:
Il 26/09/2011 15:44, Lisi ha scritto:
On Monday 26 September 2011 13:04:18 Camaleón wrote:
For what specific purpose?

It's not the same if you are going to use it just for backups than for
storing the "/" filesystem on a home desktop, for a hosting company as a
part of a hw raid system, to be used for a cluster or...

A most accurate description will provide you the better responses.
Not really, it depends on the attitude of the person using it.  All I am
asking is: is it better quality and more durable than the blue ranges.  Once
burnt, twice shy.

Attitude? I would worry about the technical details of the drive. And
yes, system specifications do help if you need an advice. If you were
going for a RAID setup, i would reccomend you pick other brands.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time-Limited_Error_Recovery

Davide, you beat me to it - I was going to make roughly the same comment :-)

Though, it's not necessarily a matter of picking another brand. Some of the WD drives are fine - it's more a matter of picking "enterprise" drives for use in RAID arrays. I learned all this the hard way, a few years back, when my nicely tuned, high-availability RAID1 array turned to sludge -- turns out my vendor had shipped with drives with TLER turned on. Needless to say, all replacement drives since have been very carefully selected. Having pretty good luck with WD drives, just have to be the right ones. (The other lesson, of course, is... if you bought all the drives in a RAID array at the same time, replace them all as quickly as possible, after the first one goes south.)

Miles Fidelman