Re: New SATA drive installation question

On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 12:48 AM, Marc Shapiro <marcnshap@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm feeling really dumb right now.  Okay, I'm not dumb, I'm just lacking the
> information that I need at this time.
>
> I just installed a new SATA 1TB Seagate Barracuda drive in my Lenny box with
> FVWM as my window manager.  This is the first time that I have installed a
> SATA drive.  How do I determine what drive name to use to repartition and
> reformat the drive.  With an IDE drive I can tell what it is from its
> position on the cable.  That doesn't work with SATA.
>
> I have looked at the output of blkid, as well as looking through /dev/disk/
> and I don't see anything that looks like the new drive to me.  I also didn't
> have anything jump out at me from dmesg.
>
> Can anyone tell me where I should be looking, and what I should be looking
> for?
>
> Do I need to make changes in the BIOS to recognize SATA drives?
>
> All help appreciated.

Usually the new drive is different than your older drive.  If so, you
can identify
it through fdisk -l to list all your drives.  Check the size and it
will usually indicate
what it is.   Otherwise if the size of two drives are the same, you can
install or use smartctl to see the drive model info.  smartctl -i /dev/sda
will show a bunch of data on the drive including the model number and
serial number.  Match to what is printed on the hard drive sticker
and you will know what is what.

If nothing new pops up in fdisk -l, you can tell from that your drive is
not enabled.  Check your BIOS settings to see if the SATA channels
are enabled, etc.