Re: 100% used / file system. Help!

Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> >My desktop has 388M of files in /var/log from just random noise
> >from using it as a desktop.  That amount doesn't seem unusual to me
> >nor does it stand out.
>
> Interesting.  As I've stated in the past I don't use GUI/desktop
> Linux, only headless servers.

I use GNU/Linux for the system and the X11 Window System for the
graphics system throughout on all of my laptops and desktops.  I
wouldn't have it any other way.

What are you missing that is keeping you from using it on your
desktop?

Note that if you were to interview ten different free software users
about their desktop configuration I imagine you would get ten uniquely
different environments.  I have been using fvwm for a very long time.
I don't care for GNOME or KDE for example.  Too heavy and they change
design direction too often.  The point here is that you should sample
and try a few different ones before making a decision.  There is a
banquet of choices available.

> What log files are eating 388MB on your GUI desktop?

Both syslog and mail.log have the largest share.  Lots of email is
processed and logged.  And interestingly auth.log is large too and a
close third place.  I use ssh a lot and each login is logged.  After
that it is too spread out to call out any individual consumer.

> Years ago when I did use desktop Linux for a while, there was a
> network manager bug in an RC of SLES10 that ate log space like
> Cookie Monster in the Nabisco factory.  Are normal non-buggy
> processes eating all that space?

Mostly I would say that on my machine the biggest disk space use of
/var/log use is email.  So I guess I would say if you are concerned
about disk space then you might want to unsubscribe from debian-user.
:-)

But 400M for /var/log is nothing on a desktop.  Compare that to the
couple of gig that is consumed by happy fluff and glitter of desktop
toys and it isn't even on the radar chart.  If it was a concern you
could always trim logs more often than the defaults handed to
logrotate.

Bob