Re: 100% used / file system. Help!

On 9/23/2011 4:12 PM, Bob Proulx wrote:

Mostly I would say that on my machine the biggest disk space use of
/var/log use is email.  So I guess I would say if you are concerned
about disk space then you might want to unsubscribe from debian-user.
:-)

This is about you and explaining your desktop's unnecessarily phat /var/log. I have no concerns about disk space. I manage my systems properly.
/me ducks   :)

/var/log$ la mail.log
-rw-r--r-- 1 root adm 3.7M Sep 24 08:06 mail.log

/var/log is for logs Bob, not storing actual emails. ;) My SOHO MX's entire log directory is less than 40MB, with an M. I use Postfix which logs quite a bit of info. Every spam connection, reject code/reason, and disconnect is logged by an MX in addition to real mail, also inflating the logs. Yet:

/$ du -h -s /var/log
31M     /var/log

I sub to the following lists, thus I get plenty of mail traffic:

debian-users
dovecot
linux-ide
linux-raid
linux-scsi
postfix-users
roundcube
samba
xfs

I have over 100K emails in my mailbox. The total size of my Dovecot mailbox, including some mail going back 11 years?

/$ du -h -s /home/stan/mail/
878M    /home/stan/mail/

The debian-user mailbox has 19,132 messages in it. My spam-l list archive has 15,707, postfix-users has over 7,000, xfs has over 8,000. These are in mbox format, and are NOT compressed, and still less than a Gig. And your */var/log* is 400MB? (gasp)

Again, I can't see how your *desktop* Linux system has a 400MB /var/log directory when my SOHO email/samba/dns/httpd/ftp/webmail server is just over 30MB, and has been running for over 6 years.

Something is broken on your system. Either log rotation isn't working properly, or you're storing stuff in there other than logs. If it's something else, please enlighten us.

--
Stan