100% used / file system. Help!

I have accidentally filled something, that I shouldn't have, on my root directory, and have now got a 100% usage of the disk containing my /. This is causing me problems. (Now there's a surprise!!)

I have no backup of my /. Yes, I know. I deserve everything I've got. But now that I have been given my just deserts, can any kind soul come to my rescue? I would be so grateful.... I may, of course, just have to reinstall. :-(

Lisi