Re: Moving to Debian server. (Re)Visiting the Postfix or Exim decision. Asking for Debian-ites' opinions.

> But on this mailing list that is simply accepted practice.  :-)

Yes, which is why I'm here asking :-)

> You do realize that the discussing Exim and Postfix is like the
> classic discussions between emacs and vi?  It will be difficult to
> really get objective answers.  People like what they like.

Sure, and yet -- businesses manage to make objective decisions that take
into account those subjective opinions.

I'm looking to understand those viewpoints and choices.  Asking folks
that deploy services on the server platform that I hope to roll out
certainly makes sense as one data point.

> Being a Postfix person I have no comments about the Exim project.

That's certainly fair.  Perhaps there are others that have considered,
or are considering, both.  On Debian. And might share their opinions.

> Postfix development is very active.  New releases with improved
> features are released regularly.  The upstream mailing list is
> relatively friendly.  I routinely ask questions there and get good
> answers to my questions.

Certainly appears so.

> Just because installing Debian's "standard"[1] system task installs
> Exim doesn't mean that a lot of Debian users don't install Postfix.
>
>   http://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=postfix

I actually suspect that there's more Postfix running out there -- as
enterprise, rather than just 'own box', server tech.

Thanks.

Pat