Re: Moving to Debian server. (Re)Visiting the Postfix or Exim decision. Asking for Debian-ites' opinions.

Hi,

Bob Proulx wrote:
Just because installing Debian's "standard"[1] system task installs
Exim doesn't mean that a lot of Debian users don't install Postfix.

  http://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=postfix

I'm surprised with the level of Exim4 installs, given the number of guides on Postfix from howtoforge. I use exim4 with dovecot, greylisting, spamassassin and clamav -- it works very well for me. Also use SMTP auth and TLS as much as possible.

A quick search on howtoforge.com [1] presented 54 references for exim and 28 for exim4. Postfix gave 108 results! The heavy slant seems to be in relation to ISP config setups. I do wish there was more balance here, granted it's only one resource.

Oh and for completeness, I thought I would run a popcorn check on exim [2]; it still outnumbers postfix by a factor greater than 3.5 ... with postfix is closing the gap, but it will be a while yet on current trends.

Right now, I am quite happy with my setups and I won't be switching to postfix any time soon, if ever. Even if it does one day end up as the new default. I normally install base minimal, then add what I want as I go.

[1] http://www.howtoforge.com/trip_search
[2] http://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=exim4

--
Kind Regards