Re: How to disable USB automounts (still failing...)

On Sun, 11 Sep 2011, Brian wrote:

On Sat 10 Sep 2011 at 18:16:58 +0300, Itay wrote:

On Mon, 5 Sep 2011, Brian wrote:

Before doing this you will have read udisks(7) and know why it may not
work. You may also want to investigate changing the udev rule to see the
effect of UDISKS_PRESENTATION_HIDE.

Indeed it did not work.  This is including testing after a reboot.
I read udisks(7), and tried understanding again udev's man page but this
lies beyond my reach.

There are two mistakes in the advice offered. One is major: the rule
in /etc/udev/rules.d/ has to be used after 80-udisks.rules in
/lib/udev/rules.d, so would be better put in 85-no-automount.rules. A
relatively minor mistake (which was reported in your syslog) is that
'subsystem' should be 'SUBSYSTEM'.

It should be sufficient to leave out 'ACTION' and 'SUBSYSTEM' and have
the rule as:

ENV{UDISKS_AUTOMOUNT_HINT}="never"

or

ENV{UDISKS_PRESENTATION_NOPOLICY}="1"

The latter is used in 80-udisks.rules.

Dear Brian,

Thank you for your help.  However, I still don't have luck.
I followed your advice and
1) renamed the custom rules file to
	/etc/udev/rules.d/85-no-automount.rules
2) upcased subsystem key.

The rule, therefore, looked like this:
ACTION="add|change", SUBSYSTEM=="block", ENV{UDISKS_AUTOMOUNT_HINT}="never"

Following a suggestions in another message on this thread, I also tried replacing '=' with '==' after the ACTION and ENV{...} keywords.

**Still no luck.**

With Thunar/Thunar-volman neither rule prevents automounting but, as
they are only hints, a file manager may ignore them. Purging the
volume management software or setting Thunar to not use it is how I
would tackle the issue.

Thunar/Thunar-volume are not installed on my system.

UDISKS_PRESENTATION_HIDE is acted on though, but you probably don't
want to use it.

Any other ideas what is missing?

Many thanks,
Itay