Re: How to disable USB automounts (still failing...)

On Sat 10 Sep 2011 at 18:16:58 +0300, Itay wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Sep 2011, Brian wrote:
>> Before doing this you will have read udisks(7) and know why it may not
>> work. You may also want to investigate changing the udev rule to see the
> Indeed it did not work.  This is including testing after a reboot.
> I read udisks(7), and tried understanding again udev's man page but this
> lies beyond my reach.

There are two mistakes in the advice offered. One is major: the rule
in /etc/udev/rules.d/ has to be used after 80-udisks.rules in
/lib/udev/rules.d, so would be better put in 85-no-automount.rules. A
relatively minor mistake (which was reported in your syslog) is that
'subsystem' should be 'SUBSYSTEM'.

It should be sufficient to leave out 'ACTION' and 'SUBSYSTEM' and have
the rule as:

The latter is used in 80-udisks.rules.

With Thunar/Thunar-volman neither rule prevents automounting but, as
they are only hints, a file manager may ignore them. Purging the
volume management software or setting Thunar to not use it is how I
would tackle the issue.

UDISKS_PRESENTATION_HIDE is acted on though, but you probably don't
want to use it.