Re: Rescuing ancient laptops into emulation.

On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 17:01:19 -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:

> Hi Walter,
>
> Walter Hurry wrote:
>> Bob Proulx wrote:
>> > I would look at Virtual Box.  It is very easy to get going using it.
>> >   http://www.virtualbox.org/
>>
>> Bob,
>>
>> Looking at the spec and age of the machine in question, one suspects
>> that these are old DOS games. If that's the case, would not DosBox be a
>> better bet than VirtualBox?
>
> Please don't take my suggestion of VirtualBox as being a negative review
> for DOSBox.  I hadn't read your suggestion at the time I wrote mine.  I
> expect there will be other different suggestions from others on the list
> with their favorites too.
>
> I really don't know much about DOSBox and haven't used it previously.
> Looking at it now it does seem very capable.  Looking through the
> compatibility listings for DOSBox it does list many of my old favorites
> listed as known working good.  I will have to give it a try. Thanks for
> the suggestion!

Don't get me wrong. I think VirtualBox is a fine application (for now at
any rate, until Oracle screws it up). I use it for a couple of VMs (XP
and Fedora 16 alpha at the moment) and it works very well indeed. I'm
just not sure that it is the best solution for the OP in this thread if
he just wants to run his old DOS games.

If he really wants to try to run Windows 95 though (which I doubt) then
VirtualBox is probably the only solution - but IMHO it is unlikely to
yield anything useful.