Re: Ugly appearence after upgrade

On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 17:32:27 +0000 (UTC)
Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 16:47:46 +0000, Walter Hurry wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 11:57:13 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> >
> >> I neither like gnome-shell in its current state (I tested GNOME
> >> 3.0 in openSUSE and did not feel good with it), but I hope it
> >> changes a lot when wheezy comes out... and there is also the
> >> fallback mode.
> >
> > The problem with "fallback mode" is that it it is inferior to
> > GNOME2.
>
> Sure, but at least you don't have to deal with gnome-shell and still
> run GNOME3.

I also have tried openSUSE's GNOME 3.  While pretty and not quite as
horrible as the internet would have one believe, it wasn't my favorite
experience.  I would concur with the "my desktop is not a smartphone"
point of view.

> >> But true is that I'd like so much Debian still provides
> >> GNOME2/metacity in wheezy as an alternative to GNOME3/gnome-shell.
> >
> > The problem with clinging to GNOME2 is that the GNOME project will
> > no longer develop it, so unless someone forks the whole kit and
> > caboodle, it will eventually die off.
>
> Yep, but GNOME2 is still supported upstream, at least for now, and I
> will use it until it is finally dropped by the GNOME project. I don't
> need additional features or enhancements just security fixes.
>
> And now you mention a fork, there are two projects focused on this:
> mate and exde, IIRC.

I doubt that these will get much steam, as there are always a lot more
people to complain about software (such as myself :D) than actually
write new stuff.

> > I am so happy with LXDE that I wish I had switched sooner, but until
> > Fedora 15 came out I had been contented and familiar enough with
> > GNOME2 not to make the effort to evaluate alternatives.
> >
> > All this is my personal experience, preference and opinion of
> > course; it is for each to make his or her own choice.
>
> I'm a bit reluctant in changing to XFCE. I migrated from KDE4 to
> GNOME2 and now I feel very comfortable in this environment. Being
> like a "nomad" is fine for young people that want to taste new
> experiences, I prefer a quiet home :-)

+1 for LXDE.  It's light, fast, and simple - it has made GNOME look
sluggish and KDE like a old, lumbering giant.  And it's devs don't seem
to have any aspirations to reinvent the computing paradigm for now!

--
rbmj