BIND and timeout

Due to network congestion, I often get timeouts with BIND,
/etc/resolv.conf containing only "nameserver".
In /var/log/syslog, I can see errors like:

  xvii named[1661]: error (network unreachable) resolving ...

and the "host" command returns:

As a workaround, I can add the DNS servers of my ISP to the
/etc/resolv.conf file at home, and I no longer get any timeout.

But on other networks (my machine being a laptop), I cannot do this.
In general, I don't want to use the DNS servers provided by the DHCP
server because they are often broken, yielding obscure behavior like:

So, how can I make BIND work reliably, like the glibc resolver?