Re: Setting up Icedove with mayor providers (was: MTU and Postfix)

On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 10:56 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Sep 2011 22:34:09 +0800, lina wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 9:57 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Before setting up your Gmail account to use it with your e-mail client
>>> you should first "clean up" your inbox/folders because you can have
>>
>> inbox/folders ?
>
> Yes. If you have all of your messages stored/archived in your inbox
> Icedove will suffer to download/get all that amount of data.
>
> It's better to have sub-folders so you can classify your e-mails and put
> in there a small set of messages.
>
>> I have inbox and different folders ( folders are not in the inbox
>> directory).
>
> Hum... are that Gmail default folders (sent/all/trash...) or have you
> manually created them?

In Gamil interface ( on browser) it has filters function.
Actually even I only touch the debian less than two years, but last 15
years I spent long time with Windows.
Shame, I still know so little after so many years passed.

>> clean up?
>
> Yep :-)

I cleaned nearly all.

> Gmail has the strange ability to fill up very quickly and we tend to
> forget to completely remove e-mails that we don't want anymore. It's the
> price we have to pay in this "cloud-based" world: we forget about basic
> maintenance and let the provider to do the "dirty" job.
>
>>> stored there thousand of messages that can take very long to download.
>>>
>>> Were you using POP3 or IMAP to get your Gmail's e-mails in Icedove?
>>
>> IMAP.
>
> Then arrange your inbox and let Ivecove to gather the data. The first
> time will take some time but once it indexes and caches the folder it
> will be quicker.
>
>> P.S  Before I tried the icedove,
>> mainly just wanna download thousands of emails from windows live account
>> to backup (It's kind of "official" email box I used for years).
>> Right now I wonder I maybe do backup in different machine, such as use
>> outlook. will try another time.
>
> I guess Outlook will suffer for the same as Icedove (it will be slow).
>
> But if you want to make a backup for a small set of messages, I think
> there are specialized tools to achieve that task (e.g., gmail backup).

Thanks again,