Re: Installing Nvida DKMS way, what's the difference between /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d and /etc/X11/xorg.conf method?

On Sat, Sep 03, 2011 at 19:04 +1000, yudi v wrote:

> This is where the wiki gets confusing. It says I need to Install the NVIDIA X
> driver and user-space libraries - step 3.
>
> I believe I read somewhere that the nvidia-kernel-dkms also installs the driver
> and user space libraries.
>
> Is this step deprecated?

To be honest: I find the wiki article to be quite confusing and unclear... or
rather way too long and, well, complete.

But to answer your question I would ask you to take a look at the
nvidia-kernel-dkms package and in particular its relations to other packages.
You will notice that it recommends nvidia-glx and the "-r" option of aptitude
will ensure that recommended packages are installed, which essentially means
that this single command installs the dkms module and the user-space
libraries.

> file name "20-nvidia.conf" - is the name arbitrary or does it have to be that
> exact name?

The name is arbitrary to a certain extent and the only invariant is that it *has*
to end in .conf to be used during the configuration. It is, however, a custom
to use a naming scheme such as:

    NN-SECTION.conf
    NN-DEVICE.conf

where NN is an arbitrary two digit number and SECTION or DEVICE are replaced
by the name of the section or device you are configuring in the given file.
The files themselves are read in alphanumerical order, such that a
10-synaptics.conf will be read before a 25-nvidia.conf and we strive to
maintain the order of the original xorg.conf. But don't worry: Just use your
favourite numbers and (who knows?) a 42-answer.conf might even unlock certain
easter eggs. (Sadly it does not).

Have a nice day and let me know if you need anything else. You can also pop
into #debian and ask me directly.
--
Wolodja <babilen@gmail.com>

4096R/CAF14EFC
081C B7CD FF04 2BA9 94EA  36B2 8B7F 7D30 CAF1 4EFC