Re: Xfce4 not enabling a desktop icon - Debian stable

On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 21:04:38 +0100, AG wrote:

>> On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 15:01:03 +0100, AG wrote:
>>
>>> On Debian stable, the WM Xfce4 is not enabling an icon of an inserted
>>> disk - CD/ DVD - to be drawn to the desktop. If it is an audio CD,
>>> then the desired app will launch (ditto with a video DVD), but I can
>>> still find no way to browse the actual disk contents, not even via
>>> /media/*.
>> Nothing under "/media"... hum, well, and where's your CD/DVD then? :-)
>
> By this I mean that I cannot reach it via /media/ ... there are icons
> shown in the /media directory but I think they are symlinks. The disk is
> definitely being mounted because the associated applications are
> triggered.

And command "mount" returns...? And dmesg shows...?

>> Insert a CD or DVD, run "mount" and put here the output. Dmesg could be
>> another option.

Do USB keys have the same behaviour? I mean, are they showed in the
desktop when you connect them or not?

>>> and in any event ... does someone have a suggestion on how to fix it,
>>> because the official documentation available doesn't lend itself to
>>> resolving this issue.

>> No idea about Xfce. In GNOME there is an option (via gconf-editor) to
>> set if media volumes icons have to be visible on the desktop or not
>> ("/apps/ nautilus/desktop/volumes_visible") but in XFCE I dunno :-?
>>
> And this was the point: I had followed all of the instructions given in
> the docs, but didn't obtain the intended result. GNOME works as
> expected, so has somehow figured out the interface issues, but Xfce4 ...
> apparently, not, at least not on this machine.

Not the response you want, I know, but if you only have one CD/DVD reader
just manually create the icon in the desktop. If that's not enough for
you and want to know what's going on, you can open 2 bugs: one in Debian
BTS and the other in XFCE :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón