Xfce4 not enabling a desktop icon - Debian stable

Hey list

On Debian stable, the WM Xfce4 is not enabling an icon of an inserted disk - CD/ DVD - to be drawn to the desktop. If it is an audio CD, then the desired app will launch (ditto with a video DVD), but I can still find no way to browse the actual disk contents, not even via /media/*.

I have followed the directions given at http://thunar.xfce.org/documentation/C/ … media.html <http://thunar.xfce.org/documentation/C/using-removable-media.html> and have all the relevant options selected, but still nada.

I raised this question on the Xfce forum and the response was:
"Xfce uses an abstraction layer to be able to deal with most of those technologies but if it does not work you have to fix the underlying stuff (fix HAL/polkit permissions, install I don't know what service, etc)."

This is over my head, so basically - is this a Debian issue, Xfce4 issue and in any event ... does someone have a suggestion on how to fix it, because the official documentation available doesn't lend itself to resolving this issue.

Cheers

AG