Re: Xfce4 not enabling a desktop icon - Debian stable

On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 15:01:03 +0100, AG wrote:

> On Debian stable, the WM Xfce4 is not enabling an icon of an inserted
> disk - CD/ DVD - to be drawn to the desktop. If it is an audio CD, then
> the desired app will launch (ditto with a video DVD), but I can still
> find no way to browse the actual disk contents, not even via /media/*.

Nothing under "/media"... hum, well, and where's your CD/DVD then? :-)

Insert a CD or DVD, run "mount" and put here the output. Dmesg could be
another option.

> I have followed the directions given at
> http://thunar.xfce.org/documentation/C/ … media.html
> <http://thunar.xfce.org/documentation/C/using-removable-media.html> and
> have all the relevant options selected, but still nada.
>
> I raised this question on the Xfce forum and the response was: "Xfce
> uses an abstraction layer to be able to deal with most of those
> technologies but if it does not work you have to fix the underlying
> stuff (fix HAL/polkit permissions, install I don't know what service,
> etc)."

He's quite right. Distributions tend to customize these packages (gnome/
kde/xfce...) to fit their requirements or likings.

> This is over my head, so basically - is this a Debian issue, Xfce4 issue

Let's say it is just "a issue" :-)

> and in any event ... does someone have a suggestion on how to fix it,
> because the official documentation available doesn't lend itself to
> resolving this issue.

No idea about Xfce. In GNOME there is an option (via gconf-editor) to set
if media volumes icons have to be visible on the desktop or not ("/apps/
nautilus/desktop/volumes_visible") but in XFCE I dunno :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón