Re: Xfce4 not enabling a desktop icon - Debian stable

On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 15:01:03 +0100, AG wrote:

On Debian stable, the WM Xfce4 is not enabling an icon of an inserted
disk - CD/ DVD - to be drawn to the desktop. If it is an audio CD, then
the desired app will launch (ditto with a video DVD), but I can still
find no way to browse the actual disk contents, not even via /media/*.
Nothing under "/media"... hum, well, and where's your CD/DVD then? :-)

By this I mean that I cannot reach it via /media/ ... there are icons shown in the /media directory but I think they are symlinks. The disk is definitely being mounted because the associated applications are triggered.
Insert a CD or DVD, run "mount" and put here the output. Dmesg could be
another option.

I have followed the directions given at
http://thunar.xfce.org/documentation/C/ … media.html
<http://thunar.xfce.org/documentation/C/using-removable-media.html>  and
have all the relevant options selected, but still nada.

I raised this question on the Xfce forum and the response was: "Xfce
uses an abstraction layer to be able to deal with most of those
technologies but if it does not work you have to fix the underlying
stuff (fix HAL/polkit permissions, install I don't know what service,
etc)."
He's quite right. Distributions tend to customize these packages (gnome/
kde/xfce...) to fit their requirements or likings.

This is over my head, so basically - is this a Debian issue, Xfce4 issue
Let's say it is just "a issue" :-)

and in any event ... does someone have a suggestion on how to fix it,
because the official documentation available doesn't lend itself to
resolving this issue.
No idea about Xfce. In GNOME there is an option (via gconf-editor) to set
if media volumes icons have to be visible on the desktop or not ("/apps/
nautilus/desktop/volumes_visible") but in XFCE I dunno :-?

And this was the point: I had followed all of the instructions given in the docs, but didn't obtain the intended result. GNOME works as expected, so has somehow figured out the interface issues, but Xfce4 ... apparently, not, at least not on this machine.

AG

Greetings,