Re: [still OT?] Google cookie problem - was [Re: [OT] Google search default lang.]

On Sun, 14 Aug 2011 23:01:55 +1000, Scott Ferguson wrote:

> On 14/08/11 19:20, � wrote:
>> On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 14:10:39 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
>>
>>> Camaleón wrote:
>>
>> (...)

> Google has used cookies since day one.

Not as agressively as it is doing now.

Cookies were used -and are sill used- for tracking users and displaying
adds (which I find it okay) but I've never had  to use a specific URI for
Google to look like it was used to. As Google has been adding more and
more services it also has started to be more and more strict to what they
services have to look like.

> They're not needed for searching.

Oh, of course. If I would have needed cookies for a simple search I would
have ditched Google since years :-)

> Edit => Preferences => Privacy => In the history section use the
> drop-down bar to select Custom => untick both of the cookies boxes.

And what you get with that setting turned on?

I don't care about tracking, I allow all cookies for all of the sites, is
just that I delete them when I close the browser because I don't want my
browser get bloated in the next months.

> You will need first party cookies for gmail and other services - there's
> no other way to provide the functionality requires (javascript doesn't
> do "back").

Again, allowing cookies is not a problem for me.

>> I neither see "apparent problems" (if by "no apparent problems" we mean
>> here that it simple works :-) ) when using Google search, is just that
>> I can't get it to work the way I like...
>>
>> - Can you remove auto-complete? Nope
>
> "Apparently" it's still possible in preferences - but preferences
> requires you to be logged into iGoogle, which counts as no (for me).

Exactly! How in the hell would I need to "login" in a web search engine
for getting such option? That's no-sense.

> http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=0 no longer seems to work :-( Maybe
> if it annoyed me sufficiently I'd work out how to kill it (it's only
> javascript).

"complete=0" works for me.

>> - Can you get rif off the small preview image? Nope
>
> Do you mean those annoying mouse-over javascript pop-ups page previews?
> xul-ext-noscript fixes that.

I know there are many addons to avoid that but I neither want to keep my
browser full of third-party addons... an addon to fix each of the things
Google breaks? No, thanks, better fix Google >:-)

>> - Can you instruct Google search to stay in the language you started
>> browsing with? Nope
>
> I believe you can. Use one of the Mycroft search plugins:-
> http://mycroft.mozdev.org/google-search-plugins.html
>
> Please try one and provide some feedback. There are a few about:config
> search setting in Iceweasel that include %LOCALE% in the URI, and I've
> yet to fully understand all of them. If what you want is not there (in
> Mycroft search plugins) - let me know what language, search locality,
> and country, etc are required and I'll put one up (when I get some more
> time).
>
> Make sure you turn off geolocation in Iceweasel to rule out problems
> there:- about:config => geo.

But I don't want to be plenty of addons! And what happens when you are
not in your computer or you use more than one browser? You have to care
about getting every addon to fix Google services just to have a happy
browsing? Nooope, not me. I'm not going to waste my time on that. When I
feel tired enough of what Google provides I will just do the same I did
with their webmail and use another MUA, so in this case, I'll use another
search engine.

>> I would have ditched Google search some time ago but I like their
>> addons like Image search and News. I wish DuckDuckGo could provide a
>> similar facilities...
>>
> Try Blekko - it's pretty good too. (anything but Bling)

Looks nice and also search for images. Thanks, I will add it to my
bookmarks, very next to the Google entry...

Greetings,

--
Camaleón