Re: [Slightly OT] Releasing swap space?

 > Just a quick query about releasing swap space.  On occasion according to
 > Conky (system monitoring app), the swap space (set at 3Gb) sometimes
 > gets used to up to 15% especially if using something like Pan for
 > usenet.

 > Is there any value/ harm in releasing this space using something like:

 > swapoff -a && swapon -a [1]

	Without the context, I see neither harm nor value in doing that.

	However, if there was some task which used a lot of virtual
	memory, thus forcing the other tasks' pages to be moved to swap,
	doing that will bring those pages back to RAM, which may improve
	the future responsiveness of the system.  (Up to the time when
	such a memory-hungry task is run again; say, a Web browser with
	a few dozens of graphically-rich pages in the tabs.)

--
FSF associate member #7257