Re: Google earth doesn't display anything on my Debian Wheezy amd64

On 14/08/11 13:57, Thierry Chatelet wrote:
On Sunday 14 August 2011 05:22:27 H Xu wrote:
Hello,

I've installed the latest stable google earth from the google-earth's
official website, and installed all of the dependencies. However, when
the google-earth starts up, it doesn't display the earth, but an empty
black region. Despite this black region, other part of google earth
works well.

It might be caused by something related to Qt or OpenGL, but Stellarium,
which is also based on Qt and OpenGL, works well for me.

I'm using Kernel 3.0.

Wish anyone could offer me some help.

Thanks for your patience and time.

Regards,
H Xu
08/14/2011

You could try to install it from debian using googleearth-package. Works fine
for me. But first remove whatever you installed.
Thierry

Either method will give you a black screen with the proprietary Nvidia drivers, unless the linux OpenGL library is also installed (from experience). If you have Nvidia proprietary drives try installing mesa-utils and see if they require anything else installed - the "anything else" is what is required to unblack googleearth (you don't need mesa-utils).

Cheers

--
“People say "Iraq had the fourth largest army in the world". Yeah, maybe, but you know what, after the first 3 largest armies, there's a REAL big [beep] drop-off. The Hare Krishnas are the 5th largest army in the world, and they've already got all our airports.
”