Re: [OT] Google search default lang.

On 14/08/11 04:08, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
Hi,

Using Google search always returns my results in Spanish because
Google has figured out that my ISP is in a Spanish speaking country.
But I want the results in US Eglish and always have to do an extra
mouse click on 'Google.com in English'

*cough* some unscrupulous ISPs filter, redirect, and even rewrite search results - *cough*

To the best of my knowledge Google use geolocation to rank the physical location of servers in the search results - but *not* language. Default language is determined by your choice of Iceweasel language packs, then by system language settings. Check that dpkg --get-selections | grep iceweasel-l10n-es doesn't return anything.

Apparently Google does not record that I always click on that and
adjusts the default language.

Anybody know how to set the default language for search?

Thanks for all the answers.

I tried all of them and only 2 work:

1. putting http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=0&hl=en in the bookmark
bar of google-chrome (Thanks Camale�n). That is always in English.

Which seems to support the idea that your ISP is the problem....

2. Changing the search engine to Yahoo. That gets me English. But I hate
Yahoo and its Micro$oft random result producer. I tried changing the
search engine to scroogle and that does not work.

duckduckgo is good.

BTW now (13 Aug. 2011) the option in Google search to show results in
English has gone :-( All results are always in Spanish. So much for the
virtual world. I am in Oaxaca whether I like it or not. And I will speak
and write Spanish, whether I like it or not.

Hugo

I can make the location bar do what you wish...
about:config => keywork.url
make the string value:-
https://encrypted.google.com/search?lr=lang_en&q=

Enter a term into the location bar (not the search bar) and hit Enter

But that *should* not be necessary - my Iceweasel search bar returns my results in en.AU regards of whether I'm in Hong Kong (where the ISPs have manipulated search results), Texas, or home in Oz. Google does rank results with a preference given to physical server locations closest to my ISP, but only when I don't have geolocation disabled (see further down).

My Iceweasel language settings are:-
English/Australia [en-au]
English/United Kingdom [en-gb]
English           [en]
English/US        [en-us]
(in that order)

Note I don't use the default search plugin - perhaps you could try:-
http://mycroft.mozdev.org/google-search-plugins.html and install a specific variation (or hack your existing one to use the keyword.url string I supplied above).

To rule out geolocation as the problem (http://en-us.www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/geolocation/):-
about:config => geo.

Good luck, feedback appreciated - it does seem to bother a few people.

Cheers

--
“People say "Iraq had the fourth largest army in the world". Yeah, maybe, but you know what, after the first 3 largest armies, there's a REAL big [beep] drop-off. The Hare Krishnas are the 5th largest army in the world, and they've already got all our airports.”
~ Bill Hicks