Re: Unidentified subject! (wireless installation problem)

On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 12:29:25 -0700, gnubayonne-debian451@yahoo.com wrote:

> Sorry, you're right that was the wired interface, I must have cut n
> pasted the wrong line, my wireless is:
>
> 0c:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG
> [Golan] Network Connection (rev 02)

Ah, that makes more sense :-)

> I'm sorry to hear the installer only supports WEP. That would make it
> hard for anyone without a wired connection.

(...)

That's what the installer manual says:

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch02s01.html.en#network-cards

While I agree that having only the WEP option for the installer is a bit
limited, at least is better than none. Anyway, I would not think in
installing an OS while sitting on the bus stop or in a place where I
can't control/know the network status... again, installing an OS is not
like fetching a bunch of apps for your on-the-go mobile device :-)

Besides, setting up a wireless adapter can be hard. I mean you can face
many errors that are not so obvious to debug and installer is not the
best place from where to start debugging your wifi problems because your
resources here are very restricted.

For those without a wired connection available, installing entirely from
CD/DVD (or USB) is another option.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón