Unidentified subject!

I'm trying to do a fresh install of 6.0.2.1, but there is a glitch bringing up
the wireless network on my 1420N Inspiron laptop. It uses the iwl3945 driver:

09:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetLink BCM5906M Fast Ethernet
PCI Express (rev 02)

I boot with with the first i386 CD and it goes through the installer until it
asks if you need to load firmware from removable storage. At first I just put
the actually ucode files on a USB stick, but it didn't like that. But after
putting the iwl firmware deb file, it now installs the modules. At the
command-line, I can see the iwl3945 module running. I then select the wireless
interface in the next screen where you pick what network interface to use,
however it can't see any wireless networks. I try the manual setup, but it still
doesn't see the network. In addition to my protected network some of my
neighbors have unprotected networks and it can't see them either.

When its loading the modules from the usb stick, I see the wireless LED on my
laptop flash a few times, but after that it stays off.

I'm not sure what else i can do with it, the install CD doesn't seem to have
ifconfig or iwconfig. But with lspci I see the device and the correct iwl
modules are running and I see the iwl ucode files in /usr/lib/firmware.

I have an existing debian install on another harddisk (thats how I'm sending
this email) and I got around this problem when I installed it by using the wired
ethernet to go through the install and after some rigmarole I don't quite
remember, I got the wireless to work. But If possible I'd rather install from
the wireless, as in a lot of situations I might not have access to a wired port.
What can I try? Thanks.