Re: Unable to create either bootable USB flashdrive or CD/DVDrom

2011/8/9 Wolodja Wentland <babilen@gmail.com>:
> Why don't you follow the method
> outlined in the installation guide?
>
> http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/ch04s03.html.en

I'm trying to follow "4.3.3. Manually copying files to the USB stick —
the flexible way".

Here are the questions not answered by this guide:

1. I run "cfdisk /dev/sdb", after I did the "cat ...iso > /dev/sdb";
cfdisk shows an empty partition table, I create 1 partition, mark it
bootable, set the type to 0B [or now, to 0E], write.
 * How do I know whether cfdisk really made a new partition table,
i.e. wrote all the necessary places to clean off the previous iso
bits?

2. Which partition type qualifies as the *right* FAT16 type? These are
the choices:

 04 FAT16 <32M
 06 FAT16
 0E W95 FAT16 (LBA)
 14 Hidden FAT16 <32M
 16 Hidden FAT16
 1E Hidden W95 FAT16 (LB

[3. Ubuntu has an initrd.lz file, not initrd.gz, will that work?]

4. The guide says "If you used an hd-media image, you should now copy
a Debian ISO image[6] onto the stick." and "[6] You can use either a
businesscard, a netinst or a full CD image (see Section 4.1, “Official
Debian GNU/Linux CD-ROM Sets”). Be sure to select one that fits. Note
that the “netboot mini.iso” image is not usable for this purpose."
 * I didn't use the hd-media image, since I'm in section 4.3.3 which
doesn't use hd-media! This is a logical bug in the manual that only
confused me.
 * Well "especially" *if* I'm not using the hd-media image, I'm of
course supposed to copy the contents of the iso now?
 * the manual doesn't say whether to mount the iso and copy the
contents recursively (and to which target location), or whether to
copy the iso file itself (neither which location).

5. what I tried so far doesn't even bring up the syslinux boot menu
(it should, shouldn't it, even if there's only 1 entry?). It just
shows a black screen with blinking underline cursor in top left
corner, doing nothing.

6. the manual doesn't hint at what else is needed in syslinux.cfg to
have a chance of it working.

Also, there's no *boot.img* on the mythbuntu iso, so I can't try
section 4.3.2. Of course I know that this manual is for creating a
Debian boot, not Ubuntu boot; but in any case, my problem of using
Debian to enable me to boot any kind of Ubuntu based image is
unsolved.

Christian.