Re: rhythmbox converting files to ogg

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 05:28:56PM -0400, Rob Owens wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 08, 2011 at 02:59:34PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> > On Fri, 05 Aug 2011 18:26:11 -0400, Rob Owens wrote:
> >
> > > I have a bunch of music in encoded in flac.  When I drag the files in
> > > rhythmbox to my Sansa Clip player, rhythmbox converts them to mp3.  I
> > > want them to be converted to ogg.  I have my preferred format set to ogg
> > > in rhythmbox's preferences.

Thanks to "moch" on #rhythmbox for helping with this one.

My player is a Sansa Clip+

My music player was not properly recognized by my Lenny system (I'm on
Squeeze now), so I had added a .is_audio_player file to the player.  I
needed to remove that, but Squeeze still didn't recognize the player as
a player.

The media-player-info package had the wrong id for my player.  I updated
it as follows.

/lib/udev/rules.d/40-usb-media-players.rules was changed
from:	ATTRS{idProduct}=="74d0"
to:	ATTRS{idProduct}=="74d0|74d1"

/usr/share/media-player-info/sandisk-sansa_clip_plus.mpi was changed
from:	DeviceMatch=usb:0781:74d0;
to:	DeviceMatch=usb:0781:74d0;usb:0781:74d1;

That got my player properly recognized.  But now dragging a flac file to
the player simply copied the flac file.  No transcoding.  So I edited
/usr/share/media-player-info/sandisk-sansa_clip_plus.mpi again and
removed "audio/flac" from the OutputFormats line.

Now my system thinks the player doesn't support flac, so it converts
them to ogg vorbis -- my "Preferred Format" in Rhythmbox.  I wish there
was a user-level setting that could force a flac to ogg conversion,
instead of disabling flac files completely on this player.  But this is
good enough for now.

Note that media-player-info for squeeze shows this player as id "74d0".
Sid shows it as "74d1".  My system now references both of those id's.
This commit seems to agree with me:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/media-player-info/commit/?id=1bd1e4eb7ce4858c48b5c22e6433c8a5758010ad

-Rob