Re: Best linux Distro 2011

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 09:58, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 08:49:17 +0200, Johann Spies wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 08, 2011 at 05:26:47PM +0200, Camaleón wrote:
>> >
>> > And Well Debian wins over all the Distros :)
>>
>> Nice!
>>
>> But openSUSE is far better than Ubtuntu in almost any aspect... :-P
>
> I had to work with servers runing openSUSE for a few years and I beg to
> differ.  I prefer any Debian flavour over openSuse.

"Any" Debian flavour... you mean you prefer Ubuntu over openSUSE for a
server? Wow... can you expand that POV?

i didn't make the statement but i can understand the 'pov'. no, ubuntu is *no* server (even their lts server - that's a joke). however, i wouldn't think to use sles as a server either (i've not ever looked at opensuse so i'm taking the closest comparison i've seen here).

firstly, on sles, can you tell me how many aliases there are? can you explain how the bloody hell they organize things in /usr and /var (and /etc for that matter)? what monkey did they use to patch their kernel? oh, and what is up with their package manager - yast (haven't seen that in a while, but ..... yeah, it was bad a few years ago).

(as i've said / implied previously) there are only two reasons i'd use anything other than debian, slackware, or freebsd (or possibly openbsd) as a server - corporate history / bias or business support. i don't think opensuse fits either of those requirements. sles and ubuntu rarely fit those requirements.

I don't mean Ubuntu is not a good choice -I really like their LTS
service- but I find it very GUI focused and a bit bloated (that's only an
opinion of course) while openSUSE provides many tools to be managed from
console and remotely (by means of ncurses yast) from where you can tweak
and control almost any aspect of the distribution (hadware, services -
apache, ldap, samba, postfix, etc...- kernel parameters and config,
bootloader, partitioner, LVM volumes...).

i sort of agree with the above (other than the whole part about yast).

I find it very well designed and constructed and also very robust. I only
miss the old 24 moths support for patches, which are now reduced to 18
months, not very convenient for servers ;-(

 i don't really have an opinion on this. i can see both sides - the manufacturer / distributor 's and the consumer's. where the happy medium is comes down to cost.