Re: Best linux Distro 2011

On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 08:49:17 +0200, Johann Spies wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 08, 2011 at 05:26:47PM +0200, Camaleón wrote:
>> >
>> > And Well Debian wins over all the Distros :)
>>
>> Nice!
>>
>> But openSUSE is far better than Ubtuntu in almost any aspect... :-P
>
> I had to work with servers runing openSUSE for a few years and I beg to
> differ.  I prefer any Debian flavour over openSuse.

"Any" Debian flavour... you mean you prefer Ubuntu over openSUSE for a
server? Wow... can you expand that POV?

I don't mean Ubuntu is not a good choice -I really like their LTS
service- but I find it very GUI focused and a bit bloated (that's only an
opinion of course) while openSUSE provides many tools to be managed from
console and remotely (by means of ncurses yast) from where you can tweak
and control almost any aspect of the distribution (hadware, services -
apache, ldap, samba, postfix, etc...- kernel parameters and config,
bootloader, partitioner, LVM volumes...).

I find it very well designed and constructed and also very robust. I only
miss the old 24 moths support for patches, which are now reduced to 18
months, not very convenient for servers ;-(

Greetings,

--
Camaleón