Re: Problems with PAE kernel sort of solved.

On 29/07/11 12:15 PM, Camaleón wrote:

    I have since discovered a couple of other people who have the same
problem...all on machines using older (circa 2002) Intel boards and
cpu's.

(...)

Then you better disable HT and use a "non-pae" kernel until someone can
provide more data on why/how the error is triggered. What happens with a
pae kernel of another distribution? Or with an own-complied kernel? Are
you experiencing the same? If "no", this can be a start point to further
debug the problem. If "yes"... well, time to upgrade that motherboard or
live with a 486 kernel O:-)

this is /proc/cpuinfo with hyper-threading disabled..as you can see PAE is still exposed and the PAE kernel boots fine.

processor	: 0
vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
cpu family	: 15
model		: 2
model name	: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.60GHz
stepping	: 9
cpu MHz		: 2593.419
cache size	: 512 KB
physical id	: 0
siblings	: 1
core id		: 0
cpu cores	: 1
apicid		: 0
initial apicid	: 0
fdiv_bug	: no
hlt_bug		: no
f00f_bug	: no
coma_bug	: no
fpu		: yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	: 2
wp		: yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe up pebs bts cid xtpr
bogomips	: 5186.83
clflush size	: 64
cache_alignment	: 128
address sizes	: 36 bits physical, 32 bits virtual
power management:

So as long as I disable HT in the BIOS, there is no problem...but that slows down this machine by about 10%.

--
Cheers
Frank