Re: Problems with PAE kernel sort of solved.

On Mon, 25 Jul 2011 13:17:55 -0400, Frank McCormick wrote:

> I have been having problems with the new series of PAE kernels. I could
> never get them to boot on my machine (see bug #632734) .

What an ugly (hard to debug) bug ;-(

> This morning I installed the "new" 3.0.0 kernel, and spent a half hour
> changing BIOS settings in an attempt to get it to boot. Nothing worked
> until I turned OFF the hyper-threading option. The kernel now boots
> fine, but the system does not see it as a dual-core but as  one CPU.
> The proble is the system **seems** significantly slower than it was..a
> costly trade-off to run the new kernel. I don't see the connection
> between the PAE option the kernel now uses (and which my dual core CPU
> supports) and hyper-threading. Can anyone enlighten me ??

Mmm... not sure if this will answer your question but as I understand, HT
is the hardware part while SMP is the logical/software part you need to
"double" your microprocessor. You need from both to get the job done so
when you disable HT in BIOS, is the same that if you had installed a non-
SMP kernel.

Wel, sort of :-)

Greetings,

--