Problems with PAE kernel sort of solved.

I have been having problems with the new series of PAE kernels. I could never get them to boot on my machine (see bug #632734) . This morning I installed the "new" 3.0.0 kernel, and spent a half hour changing BIOS settings in an attempt to get it to boot. Nothing worked until I turned OFF the hyper-threading option. The kernel now boots fine, but the system does not see it as a dual-core but as one CPU. The proble is the system **seems** significantly slower than it was..a costly trade-off to run the new kernel. I don't see the connection between the PAE option the kernel now uses (and which my dual core CPU supports) and hyper-threading.
Can anyone enlighten me ??

--
Cheers
Frank