Re: installing debian from USB... IS IT POSSIBLE? Additional info.

On 20110729_111724, Scott Ferguson wrote:
> On 29/07/11 09:06, Paul E Condon wrote:
> > On 20110727_040721, Paul E Condon wrote:
> >> It also works with debian-6.0.1a-i386-businesscard.iso
> >> I have looked into putting the installer on a USB device several times
> >> in the past, but have always been put off by the perceived messyness
> >> of the process, like OP. The only slightly complex issue was putting
> >> the USB drive into the bios boot order list. This is not a complaint,
> >> but an indication of just how trivial the process actually is.
> >>
> >> Was it always this easy and people writing HOWTOs just didn't know?
> >> Or was there some feature in the debian-gnu-linux tool set that needed
> >> a rewrite? Not really important to get an answer, but it would be nice
> >> if all those out of date HOWTOs could somehow be hidden from view
>
> You seem to be answering your own posts.... perhaps if you gave specific
> instances your complaints could be dealt with (post the URLs of the
> out-of-date Debian documentation).
>
> >>, Or tagged with a note pointing to your email in debian lists archive.
> >>
> >> Thanks again
> >
> > Unfortunately this result has proved to be unreproducible. In about a
> > dozen retries, some identical, some with minor variation, none has
> > worked at bringing up the installer splash screen. It is obvious to me
> > that there is something missing in my understanding of iso images on
> > usb drives.
>
> Yes. And as I noted in an earlier post there are some issues specific to
> certain BIOS. If you posted specific "information" you'd get specific
> help - that's what this list is good at.
>
> > I'm dropping out of this discussion.
>
> Which is just rude - you complain and insist that things don't work. Are
> you a shill or a troll?
>
> <snipped>
>
> You modified the subject to "more info", yet provided no more information.
>
> Cheers

I responded to my own post. I reported that it was in error.
Readers of the archive should not send me email asking how exactly
I got it to work. (Which I had claimed in the post to which I was
responding) Short answer is: I didn't.

It may not be valuable information to you. You already know that
everyone else on this list, myself included, is stupid and lazy.
But you knowing something isn't helpful to me, and I am tired of
the abuse.

Cheers
--
Paul E Condon