Re: installing debian from USB... IS IT POSSIBLE?

On Tue 26 Jul 2011 at 13:38:14 -0400, Mark Grieveson wrote:

> However, I wonder why I'd have to use a 16 MB iso image for a usb
> stick, rather than a regular install image.

Wonder why no longer; read *all* the messages in this thread; recognise
the power of an iso-hybrid image. :)

>                                              I imagine installing
> from this above minimal image would be difficult.

Only without net access.

> I also found in the documentation (2.4 Installation Media) an entry for
> USB sticks (2.4.3. USB Memory Stick) which seems to assume that systems
> with only USB sticks (and not dvds or cdroms) must be tiny, which given
> laptops nowadays is not the case.  There also was an entry in 2.4.1.
> CD-ROM/DVD-ROM that states "USB CD-ROM drives are also supported, as
> are FireWire devices that are supported by the ohci1394 and sbp2
> drivers."  So, I don't know if the regular iso image that was intended
> for dvds or cdroms (IE, the netinst image) can be used with a
> usb-stick or not . . . . .

You would know if you read *all* the messages in this thread. :)

>                                . . . . But, contrary to some of the
> other posts on this topic, the regular netinst images do seem
> distinctly to be for cdrom/dvd, rather than usb-stick (see
> http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/debian-installer/).

No. But you have to read *all* the messages in this thread to understand
why.