Re: debian sensible browser help

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 10:29:43PM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Steve Kleene wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 11:53:28PM +0000, I wrote:
> >
> > > From my command line, I tried
> > >
> > > BROWSER=/usr/bin/iceweasel export BROWSER
> > >
> > > but found that reading an html e-mail then brought up both iceweasel and
> > > sensible-browser.  I had no entry for html in ~/.mailcap, and /etc/mailcap
> > > listed sensible-browser.  I did this all with metamail, which is kind of
> > > archaic.
> >
> > On 2011-07-26 00:43:30 GMT, Robert Holtzman wrote:
> >
> > > Try putting that line in .bashrc, log out and back in. Don't forget the
> > > "&&".
> >
> > I just did try that with the "&&", and I still got sensible-browser when I
> > used metamail.  Maybe that's unexpected, but at least listing iceweasel in
> > ~/.mailcap has worked.
>
> AFAIK it is still true that unless you have taken special measures
> (e.g. ~/.xsession) then the .bashrc environment will not be present to
> the GNOME desktop.

It sure seems to be present out of the box on mine (Lenny and Squeeze).
In addition to the browser export setting, I source my .bash_aliases
file from it.

> Therefore while setting BROWSER in .bashrc will
> work for invocations of sensible-browser from the command line it
> won't have any effect for when GNOME is launched.

Gnome has to be launched manually? Not my experience. On my distros it
launches at boot. What distros are you basing your statement on? Or am I
completely misunderstanding your post?

--
Bob Holtzman
If you think you're getting free lunch,