Re: Problems with PAE kernel sort of solved.

On 26/07/11 04:49 AM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

I don't believe CONFIG_X86_PAE is the cause of Frank's problem.  I
believe it lies in two or more other config options.  It just happens
that he's using a pre-compiled canned Debian kernel that seems to have
other features turned on that are causing his problem.  See below.

  I can hardly wait :)

I doubt Frank is the only person on the planet
using a Northwood C series uni-core Pentium with HyperThreading hardware
and CONFIG_X86_PAE enabled.  He may be one of the few attempting to use
a canned kernel with PAE, SMP, and multi-core enabled in his kernel, on
a CPU that only supports 1 of the 3.

For close to a decade I've been rolling my own kernels from vanilla
source to avoid problems such as this, and for other reasons.  Given
that Frank didn't know he had an HT, but not dual core, CPU, and has
probably never heard of CONFIG_X86_SMP or CONFIG_X86_HT, he's probably
not a candidate for rolling his own kernels. :(

Never assume :) So, if you were me, which options would you include or drop...I don't need PAE (one gig of memory in this machine) and I now know it's not a multi-core, so CONFIG_X86_SMP is the only one needed ?? I have compiled kernels before (started off with Slackware6 or 7 years ago) but have never needed to since Debian.

Thanks

--
Cheers
Frank