Re: Where is the table Xorg.conf located (Squeeze)?

On 2011-07-16 20:31 +0200, lee wrote:

> Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> writes:
>
> Ah, now I think I see what you mean.  I didn't express myself very
> well.  My intention was to make a general statement that input devices
> are very likely not to work correctly without an xorg.conf.

This is a rather bold statement, given that running without an xorg.conf
has been the default for quite some time.  Do you really think this does
not work for the majority of users?

>> Apparently you had figured it out at some time already; try bisecting
>> your xorg.conf until…
>
> No, I hadn't.  The keyboard didn't work, and I fixed that.

If you don't set AutoAddDevices to off in xorg.conf, any configuration
for the kbd driver will be ignored.  Have you been aware of that?

> Again, what's the alternative to what I specified for the keyboard in
> xorg.conf?  Is there automatic and correct detection of all keyboards
> now?

Not automatic (the layout cannot really be guessed), but it's done in
/etc/default/keyboard.  The advantage of that approach is that you have
the same keyboard layout in X and on the console.  I think
keyboard-configuration will migrate your settings from xorg.conf, but
it's been a while since I've done that.

> And another example: How do you disable DontZap if not in your
> xorg.conf?

XKBOPTIONS="terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp" in /etc/default/keyboard, for
instance; "dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration" gives you a dialog
to enable that option.

>> …your keyboard does not work anymore.  Hint: look for "AutoAddDevices".
>
> ,---- [man 5 xorg.conf ]
> |        Option "AutoAddDevices" "boolean"
> |        If this option is disabled, then no devices will be added from
> |        HAL events.  Enabled by default.
> `----
>
> How about udev?

The same holds for udev; the manpage is not up to date, it seems.

Sven