Re: is there no sane, minimal, graphical RSS feed reader in existance?

On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 1:20 AM, Johannes Schauer <j.schauer@email.de> wrote:

> What I'm using now is liferea which is okay but could be more minimal
> and mainly, is way too slow to enjoy using it (search for the fsync
> issue).

Sounds like you may need to tune your filesystem.  If fsync() is
causing a problem, it probably means that it's forcing all pending
data writes for that filesystem to disk, not just that file.
Unfortunately this seems to be the default configuration because so
many broken programs seem to depend on that.  Sad really.  A file
system gets tweaked to make bad programs work well, then end up
slowing down correct programs.  So people break the correct programs
to get around the performance problems and end up depending on the new
feature of the filesystem.

Personally, I tune all of my filesystems with journal_data_writeback
enabled, and if any system apps break, I'll file bugs against them.
But meanwhile, apps that do correctly use fsync() don't mess up
performance for the whole system.

As a compromise, you might try making your home directory (or whatever
directory liferea keeps its data on) is configured with that mount
option and see if it improves performance.

Normally I'd point someone to this article:
http://thunk.org/tytso/blog/2009/03/15/dont-fear-the-fsync

but the site seems to be down at the moment.

Fortunately, I ended up going into my RSS reader of choice, Google
Reader, and finding the article and reshared it via my Buzz feed.  I
think you'd now be able to read it at:
https://plus.google.com/117219624378904478730/posts/Mwn9a2woZYv

Our of curiosity, why choose a local app over a central service like
Reader or any of the others out there?

I used to be a big fan of such local apps, but since I could be on any
number of machines (2 home desktops, a couple of laptops, few machines
at work), I've found a web app a lot more convenient.

mrc