Re: Where is the table Xorg.conf located (Squeeze)?

Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> writes:

> On 2011-07-16 15:29 +0200, lee wrote:
>
>> Paul E Condon <pecondon@mesanetworks.net> writes:
>>
>>> /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>>> But the installer generally does not create xorg.conf any more. The newer
>>> versions of X are capable of auto configuration for almost everybody.
>>
>> They are unable to get your keyboard to work and will also fail with
>> your pointing device
>
> Where did you come to that conclusion?  Note that xorg.conf(5) says

It's not a conclusion, it's experience.  Neither the keyboard nor the
pointing device work correctly without an xorg.conf.  You can try it out
by plugging in different keyboards (with different amounts of keys and
different keyboard layouts for different languages) and different
pointing devices.

Even if you get so far, without an xorg.conf, as to be able to mess
around with various tools to adjust the configuration, and even if you
can get the configuration you need with them, it's way easier to use an
xorg.conf.  And it's generally better to have something configured
correctly to begin with than it is to have something misconfigured and
then trying to work around the problems.

In this case, for example, KDE also messes around with your keyboard
setup unless you turn that off.  I don't know what gnome does, it's
probably not any better.  Then use fvwm-crystal or some other WM or
"desktop environment" that does or doesn't mess around with your
settings, and you end up spending not only hours but days trying to
figure out how to get your keyboard and/or pointing device to work under
various circumstances.  For example, what's the alternative to:

,----
| Section "InputDevice"
|     Identifier     "Keyboard0"
|     Driver         "kbd"
|     Option         "XKBOptions" "ctrl:nocaps"
|     Option         "XkbModel" "pc102"
|     Option         "XkbLayout"   "de"
| EndSection
`----

... and loading an appropriate Xmodmap?  You can also try something much
simpler: Turn on NumLock and switch from your X session to the console
and back.  Is your NumLock LED still on after that?  If not, how do you
fix that?

HAL isn't running, and there is only one package installed that depends
on it; otherwise I would purge it.

BTW, how do you disable hotplugging, and how do you find out whether
it's enabled or disabled?  The manual page of xorg.conf doesn't say how
to do that.  It must be disabled, though, because otherwise my keyboard
won't work.

--
html messages are obsolete