Re: Where is the table Xorg.conf located (Squeeze)?

On 2011-07-16 16:56 +0200, lee wrote:

> Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> writes:

>>> They are unable to get your keyboard to work and will also fail with
>>> your pointing device
>>
>> Where did you come to that conclusion?  Note that xorg.conf(5) says
>
> It's not a conclusion, it's experience.  Neither the keyboard nor the
> pointing device work correctly without an xorg.conf.  You can try it out
> by plugging in different keyboards (with different amounts of keys and
> different keyboard layouts for different languages) and different
> pointing devices.

Maybe you should not talk in second person here, because these things
work for me.  Whether they work for Paul cannot be decided without
seeing his complete xorg.conf (and possibly Xorg.0.log).

> HAL isn't running, and there is only one package installed that depends
> on it; otherwise I would purge it.

HAL is only needed on kfreebsd-*, where udev is not available.  I don't
have it installed.

> BTW, how do you disable hotplugging, and how do you find out whether
> it's enabled or disabled?  The manual page of xorg.conf doesn't say how
> to do that.

Apparently you had figured it out at some time already; try bisecting
your xorg.conf until…

> It must be disabled, though, because otherwise my keyboard
> won't work.

…your keyboard does not work anymore.  Hint: look for "AutoAddDevices".

Sven