Re: Want to build new Debian PC. Is IDE interface gone?

Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:
> I don't trust USB external enclosures that claim not needing
> external power other than the common port or that use another USB
> port to fetch it from there. They tend to lie... well, not "they"
> but USB ports which do not always provide the full required voltage
> and then is when your problems start: your DVD reader sporadically
> fails to write, the USB hard disk is not being recognized or just is
> "sometimes", your DVD reader has "hicups" when playing your favorite
> movie...

It is true that my cdrom's advertised power draw (5W) is double the
 "official" maximum, though I've never had any problems in practice.

My general observation is that using the "main body" USB ports on a PC
is generally good for anything I throw at them, but one has to be
careful with non-powered hubs (e.g., in USB keyboards or whatever).

-Miles

--
Back, n. That part of your friend which it is your privilege to contemplate in
your adversity.