Re: Want to build new Debian PC. Is IDE interface gone?

On Mon, 11 Jul 2011 09:10:09 -0400, shawn wilson wrote:

> On Jul 11, 2011 8:05 AM, "Camaleón" <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 15:09:06 -0400, mark wrote:
>>
>> > I'm looking for components for a new PC to install debian on.  I've
>> > been looking at motherboards (MSI & Gigabyte) and it seems that the
>> > IDE interface no longer exists.  Is no more IDE interface the new
>> > direction for PCs so that I will have to buy a SATA burner?
>>
>> If you are buying components for a new PC I would discard IDE at all
>> and go for SATA300/600 hard disks and SATA optical unit.
>>

> And if I were buying components... I wouldn't even buy an optical drive.

<Disney mode on>
Then you'll miss the "magic world of multimedia" :-P
</Disney mode off>

> I haven't had the need for cd in ages. If you're really into cds though,
> how about a usb or eSATA unit so that you can use your media on multiple
> computers?

I hate optical storage like the most, but I still find it useful for a
limited set of contexts (like installing an OS -without hassle- or
update...-).

> ... just an idea.

Another possibility is having an external optical unit, but it requires
and extra power supply (that means more cables around) and occupies
valuable space.

>> IDE is nowadays a dead end like many other interfaces (LPT, RS-232,
>> ISA, AGP...) so unless you really need it, it's loosing money. Sigh.
>> Times go by so fast...
>>

> ... mca, SCSI, pci, pcix (though I think I've still seen that in
> consumer pcs), firewire, ir, vga, simm, slot1 (processors), at (power
> supplies), fdd, ps/2, etc.

And don't forget our floppy best friend! :-)

> Ps, couldn't help ^^ :) I'm sure I missed a few (you can probably dig up
> an old makedev script and put my memory to shame, but...). Some of the
> changes are good some are just good marketing. In the end, it really
> doesn't matter: go with the flow or you'll loose.

Marketing and I follow different ways... I still look for a motherbaord
that provides RS-232, LPT and Floppy "by default" O:-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón