Re: Want to build new Debian PC. Is IDE interface gone?

On Jul 11, 2011 8:05 AM, "Camaleón" <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 15:09:06 -0400, mark wrote:
>
> > I'm looking for components for a new PC to install debian on.  I've been
> > looking at motherboards (MSI & Gigabyte) and it seems that the IDE
> > interface no longer exists.  Is no more IDE interface the new direction
> > for PCs so that I will have to buy a SATA burner?
>
> If you are buying components for a new PC I would discard IDE at all and
> go for SATA300/600 hard disks and SATA optical unit.

And if I were buying components... I wouldn't even buy an optical drive. I haven't had the need for cd in ages. If you're really into cds though, how about a usb or eSATA unit so that you can use your media on multiple computers?

... just an idea.

> IDE is nowadays a dead end like many other interfaces (LPT, RS-232, ISA,
> AGP...) so unless you really need it, it's loosing money. Sigh. Times go
> by so fast...

... mca, SCSI, pci, pcix (though I think I've still seen that in consumer pcs), firewire, ir, vga, simm, slot1 (processors), at (power supplies), fdd, ps/2, etc.

Ps, couldn't help ^^ :) I'm sure I missed a few (you can probably dig up an old makedev script and put my memory to shame, but...). Some of the changes are good some are just good marketing. In the end, it really doesn't matter: go with the flow or you'll loose.