Re: Want to build new Debian PC. Is IDE interface gone?

Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:
> Another possibility is having an external optical unit, but it requires
> and extra power supply (that means more cables around)

Hmm, actually modern optical external drives don't seem to need a
power supply, at least those that run off USB.

I bought the _cheapest_ external optical drive I could find in a local
electronics store, merely to read CDs -- but the even the cheapest
external USB drive they had (pretty cheap, like $40-50?  I forget) was
tiny (like a slightly thick CD case, with a few more cm in one
dimension) ran off of USB power, and was also capable of reading DVDs
and burning CDs and DVDs.

I don't use it so often, so mostly it just sits in a drawer, but it's
so small I don't really care, and it's nice to have it around for
those rare occasions when it's handy.

When I buy a new computer, of course, I won't have to even think about
it -- it will still sit in the drawer waiting to be used.  :]  USB
will still be around for a few more computer generations at least, and
for optical drives (maybe unlike hard disks) its speed is perfectly
acceptable.

... and I bought this a few years ago; I imagine they're even cheaper
and more capable now.

-Miles

--
Americans are broad-minded people.  They'll accept the fact that a person can
be an alcoholic, a dope fiend, a wife beater, and even a newspaperman, but if