Re: Set up headless Bubba Two for firewall/gateway

Tue, 05 Jul 2011 18:07:23 -0400 keltezéssel William Hopkins azt írta:

> On 07/05/11 at 08:02pm, Csanyi Pal wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a Bubba Two <http://www.excito.com/> headless PC box and on it a
>> Debian GNU/Linux Squeeze operating system. I bought this hardware
>> preinstalled with Debian GNU/Linux Etch.
>>
>> So far one can't to upgrade it to Debian Squeeze using the 'bubba'
>> software running on Bubba because the Bubba developers at Excito
>> doesn't have yet the installable version of Debian Squeeze integrated
>> with the 'bubba' software.
>>
>> I have upgraded my Bubba Two to Debian Squeeze from Debian Etch
>> following steps described on the Excito Forum under topic 'Running
>> Debian lenny or squeeze on Bubba Two'
>> <http://forum.excito.net/viewtopic.php? f=11&t=2518>. I did this
>> because I want Debian Squeeze on my Bubba Two hardware. :)
>>
>> After this upgrade I have setup networking on Bubba following these
>> steps: <http://pastebin.com/vWFHw8i6>
>>
>> I have problem when try to browse or ping from my LAN behind the Bubba
>> the Internet, say the Google.
>> ping 192.168.10.1
>> is successfull, but
>> ping www.google.com
>> isn't:
>> ping: unknown host www.google.com
>>
>> What am I missing here to setup properly my LAN behind my Bubba?
> DNS resolution, which converts names (google.com) into IPs
> (74.125.91.99). You need /etc/nsswitch.conf to be configured with the
> word 'dns' somewhere in the 'hosts' line (like hosts:^Ifiles dns wins),

I have already this line in /etc/nsswitch.conf on Bubba
hosts:          files dns

> and /etc/resolv.conf with a 'nameserver' line (the nameserver should be
> provided by your ISP, check for what it's set to on your working
> machines, or try 8.8.8.8 for google DNS).

I have already those lines in /etc/resolv.conf on Bubba
nameserver 91.102.231.242
nameserver 91.102.231.241

> You may also need to configure your local network some but I suspect it
> already is. Try ping 74.125.91.99 instead of 192.168.10.1 and if that
> works, DNS is the only thing missing.

I can 'ping 74.125.91.99' successfully from ma laptop that is on my LAN
behind Bubba firewall/gateway.

I have installed bind9 too on my Bubba but bind9 haven't configured yet
out there.

--
Best Regards,
Paul