Re: Set up headless Bubba Two for firewall/gateway

On 07/05/11 at 08:02pm, Csanyi Pal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a Bubba Two <http://www.excito.com/> headless PC box and on it a
> Debian GNU/Linux Squeeze operating system. I bought this hardware
> preinstalled with Debian GNU/Linux Etch.
>
> So far one can't to upgrade it to Debian Squeeze using the 'bubba'
> software running on Bubba because the Bubba developers at Excito doesn't
> have yet the installable version of Debian Squeeze integrated with the
> 'bubba' software.
>
> I have upgraded my Bubba Two to Debian Squeeze from Debian Etch following
> steps described on the Excito Forum under topic 'Running Debian lenny or
> squeeze on Bubba Two' <http://forum.excito.net/viewtopic.php?
> f=11&t=2518>. I did this because I want Debian Squeeze on my Bubba Two
> hardware. :)
>
> After this upgrade I have setup networking on Bubba following these steps:
> <http://pastebin.com/vWFHw8i6>
>
> I have problem when try to browse or ping from my LAN behind the Bubba the
> Internet, say the Google.
> ping 192.168.10.1
> is successfull, but
> ping www.google.com
> isn't:
> ping: unknown host www.google.com
>
> What am I missing here to setup properly my LAN behind my Bubba?
DNS resolution, which converts names (google.com) into IPs (74.125.91.99).
You need /etc/nsswitch.conf to be configured with the word 'dns' somewhere in
the 'hosts' line (like hosts:^Ifiles dns wins), an /etc/resolv.conf with a
'nameserver' line (the nameserver should be provided by your ISP, check for
what it's set to on your working machines, or try 8.8.8.8 for google DNS).

You may also need to configure your local network some but I suspect it already
is. Try ping 74.125.91.99 instead of 192.168.10.1 and if that works, DNS is the
only thing missing.

--
Liam