Re: Start rtorrent on bootup in Squeeze

>> Wow, this really is perfect!
>> I did what you told me and it works like a charm :-)
>
> Thank you!
> Indeed, it's a great pleasure for me to share this script!  When I wrote
> it, I was particularly proud and then I polished it with the idea in
> mind to be able to share it quickly.  Mission done today!
>
> A friend of mine is using it since the beginning too and is really happy
> with it.

Why don't you put it into the debian wiki or somewhere else?
I was googling for such a script for several days.
Like that you can share it even easier :-)

>> Just for curiosity:
>> When updating-rc.d I get the message "update-rc.d: using dependency
>> based boot sequencing".
>> I suppose this is just an information? Just want to be sure as I've
>> never added/changed init.d scripts...
> Yes this message is just telling you that now it uses upstart instead of
> the old system V approach (executing scripts as are presented
> alphabetically). Now, upstart uses dependencies: in my script, you'll
> find a dependency on network, that is, my script will be started after
> the network is started.  Moreover, my script provide a "service" that is
> basically called "rtorrent".

Ah that's it.
Thanks for your explanation!

> But now, it's important to mention that if you wish to use this script
> for *more than one users* on the same machine, you'll have a
> dependency-name conflict since all of the rtorrent-user.* scripts will
> provide the same "service" name (aka "rtorrent").  So you just have to
> edit the scripts and change "rtorrent" to "rtorrent.<username>".

I probably won't use it with another user. But we'll never know. I
changed the service name just to be sure :-)

> Just to push things a little more: I have a generic alias (in ~/.bashrc)
> called 'srt' that completes the "suite":
>
> alias='screen -x rtorrent.${USER}'

That's a good idea!
I will create that alias too :-)

Btw: Why do you use the -x option and not the -r option?

Cheers
Ramon