Re: Urgent XFS Recovery

On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 08:01, yazicivo <yazicivo@ttmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon 7/4/2011 2:41 PM, shawn wilson wrote:

> Price is fine with me, the problem is that there is no such company I know
> of in Turkey. Any suggestions?

maybe here: http://www.werecoverdata.com/AS/Aydin-Turkey/DataRecoveryAydin-Turkey.htm
NOTE: i'm not recommending these guys, they're just the first that
popped up when i googled 'turkey data recovery'. do some research
before you send your data and make a backup before you send it.

>> If the data isn't worth money but you'd still like it back ...
>
> The data is important for me and worths money.
>
>> Last thing; you probably want to get away from the computer for a bit. If
>> you keep at it without a break you'll probably wonder into more stupidity.
>
> Thanks for your valuable comments, they were full of insight and shed a
> thousand suns on the solution.

i would buy two disks (they're cheap and you'll need one anyway to
make a backup before sending your data off). then i'd dd a copy over
(as someone described). then i'd make a copy on another disk, throw
both in a drawer (ie, safe place) and spend a little time (figuring
that you will probably fail, i don't know what your time is worth but
you might get lucky vs spending money for nothing) trying to recover
your data yourself off of another copy of the dd on the same drive
(that way, when you mess up you can go back to your original copy on
the same drive and you don't touch your original data or the primary
backup again).

then, once you are done playing, contact a few companies and explain
what you did (you might also want to go ahead and recover your history
off of one of those dd images for them too). see what they want you to
send, if they can quote you a price (a rough price because depending
what you did after the format, it might take more or less time), and
(depending on your data) what their policy is on retaining and
disclosing your data to third parties.

per that last statement, i know turkey has some interesting laws on
internet and data use. if you don't like this, you might consider
sending your data off to another country (germany comes to mind).

hth