Re: NetworkManager (was: Re: Stranded between lenny and squeeze)

On Sun, 03 Jul 2011 14:04:21 +0000, Curt wrote:

> On 2011-07-02, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> And of course, warning about NM can leave the system disconnected is a
>> very good point (I didn't know NM can take that path...), so in the
>> evnt this can happen and the OP is using NM, he can just turn it off
>> before doing the upgrade and turn it on aftwewards.
>
> What's wrong with just doing "apt-get -d dist-upgrade" first, thus
> rendering the whole question of NM dropping the connection or not moot.

You mean running the dist-upgrade routine locally? The OP was facing two
problems for this to be done easily, IIRC.

> Or am I missing something?

Yep, you missed the OP:

1/ Got a blank screen when jumping to console (tty)
2/ GDM session expired quickly

So SSH was the option Hendrik also considered and that I found appropiate
for this case (yes, he also could have try to load the VESA driver in
order to get a readable console or diving into GDM logs and figure out
why session expired so quick but this can even take more time that a
simple SSH update).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón