Re: Wicd sees router but won't connect -solved

On 24 Jun 2011, Brian wrote:
> On Fri 24 Jun 2011 at 16:16:47 +0100, Anthony Campbell wrote:
>
> > 02:02.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5212
> > 802.11abg NIC [168c:1014] (rev 01)
>
> According to the Debian wiki ath5k is the driver for an AR5212. It also
> appears your kernel knew this. Not being able to load the ath9k driver
> via /etc/modules is telling you something.
>
> And even now you do not have reliable connectivity. If it were me I'd
> purge wicd and everything it pulled in. Similarily with Network Manager
> if it lurking somewhere. Then set up wpa_supplicant+ifupdown; or, if you
> prefer, wireless-tools.

I didn't say ath9 was not loaded by /etc/modules. It is, but it doesn't
have any effect in this case.

After further experiments, I find that ath5k quite often gives a
connection (after doing "sudo iwconfig essid My_ESSID") but not always.
When it doesn't, manually loading ath9k usually does provide a
connection.

In both cases, however, the wicd daemon must be running, as far as I can
see, if the connection is to come up. Turning if off prevent connection.

On occasions when it works, iwconfig at first shows something like
"00-00-00-00", and telling it to use "My-ESSID" then usually works. If
iwconfig produces no essid at all, as sometimes happen, it is impossible
to connect.

I'm now wondering if there is some bug in iwconfig. It's as if it needs
a "kick" before it does its stuff. There are so many variables in this
situation that it is difficult to know what is happening.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk