Re: Wicd sees router but won't connect

Excerpts from Anthony Campbell's message of 2011-06-23 10:37:43 +0200:
> On 23 Jun 2011, William Hopkins wrote:
> > On 06/22/11 at 10:35pm, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> > > I'm trying to set up wireless on a Thinkpad T41. I'm using the ath5K
> > > module and this brings up wlan0 as expected. I fiddled all day with
> > > /etc/network/interfaces with no luck. I then tried wicd and this does
> > > show my router, but it won't connect. Are there any tweaks that may make
> > > it connect?
> > >
> > > The router does not have encryption but broadcast of its essid is
> > > disabled. This does not prevent wicd from seeing it.
> >
> > I don't use wicd, so I can't speak to that. You can try to connect directly as
> > follows for testing, though:
> >
> > iwconfig wlan0 scan //look for your network
> > iwconfig wlan0 essid ${ESSID} key "s:your_passphrase" //associate to your network with WEP
> > dhclient wlan0
> >
> > then see what you've got. Normal network troubleshooting applies.. listen for
> > traffic, try pinging your router, check your routing table and netmask, etc.
> > etc.
> >

> > --
> > Liam
>

> The strange thing is that wlan0 *does* appear to connect but it doesn't
> actually work. Here is the result of iwconfig:
>

> wlan0     IEEE 802.11abg  ESSID:"My Router"
>           Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.437 GHz  Access Point: 00:19:5B:3B:E7:6C
>           Bit Rate=1 Mb/s   Tx-Power=20 dBm
>           Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
>           Encryption key:off
>           Power Management:off
>           Link Quality=57/70  Signal level=-53 dBm
>           Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
>           Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0
>

> Anthony
>
> --
> Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
> Microsoft-free zone - Using Debian GNU/Linux
> http://www.acampbell.org.uk - sample my ebooks at
> http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/acampbell

Hi Anthony,
I had similar problems in the past. Seemingly working wireless but not
really. In my case it boiled down to drivers that didn't really work,
but this was a broadcom chip. I guess the semi-open drivers still don't
work for BCM4312 LP-PHY, although they should since a couple of kernel
versions.

Anyway, wicd didn't help when troubleshooting and on IRC I met a guy who
said he was the maintainer and using networkmanager himself..

My suggestion is to, somehow, make sure the driver works for your chip
and then configure everything manually, using wpa_supplicant directly if
necessary (not THAT hard). If you can't get it to work that way it won't
work any other way.

Once it works you can use whatever suits best. Personally I don't use
wicd anymore but a (possibly Arch Linux specific) script called netcfg
which is simple and sufficient for most use cases.

Regards,
Philipp